Sunday, December 4, 2011

Made it to Eastern Europe - Budapest, Hungary


Jo Napot! (Good Day!)

Ladies and Gentlemen I have decided to tackle the unthinkable for most. I went on my 1st vacation ALONE! Some people can’t even go do dinner alone so this idea I thought about backing forth to decide if I was serious and that I plan everything exactly how I would like it!  Since I have not made my way to Eastern Europe I thought that Budapest would be great place to conquer by myself if I planned everything out.  I was right and wrong at the same time.  I did plan every detail out using my all time favorite reviews from www.tripadvisor.com and got some great new things that I would not consider to do if I was with someone else, thinking that they would not be too interested. But I was wrong that I would be alone, I mean I slept alone but was constantly invited into conversations and to join groups when they noticed I was by myself.  Techinally I was “working” my research on this country would probably foster the opinions of many people that are in my network about ever visiting Hungary.  I took my job serious. 

First things first, www.wizzair.com covers must of Eastern Europe and this was my first experience with this budget airlines like ryanair.com it lack the typical amenities of a flight.  The people in Italy and in Hungary that worked for this airlines seem like they all need to go on ‘holiday’ soon.  They all had the worst attitude and after having a difficult time at the ticket counter and being charged for my carry on when others where able to pass with larger bags my lock was  broken.  Anywho, I had some schedule a taxi to come pick me up for the airport for a fixed cost of 15 Euro, this is a must!! Taxi’s  typically jack up the prices for every city you fly into but here since you are using the HUNGRAIN FORINT (HUF) and don’t know how to convert very typically from your Illustrious Euro they take advantage of this opportunity.

Driving into Budapest, to be honest not so much ‘Love at First Sight’ more like Scared at First Sight! Lol Look like a war just ended a few years ago and this was their efforts of rebuilding a city.  After learning more about this recently changed political system of the country from COMMUNIST it all makes sense.  Especially when you realize that very little people here speak English because it was not even taught in schools until after 1980s.  My stop first on my itinerary was the largest Jewish Synagogue  in Europe. I was able to do a tour of the synagogue and marvel over its design and the history of the large population of Jews that resided previously in Hungary before the war.  After hearing stories near the memorial of the Holocaust it brought me to tears.  From here I was off to something that was a little more up beat.  Something that was listed as one of the top things to do in Budapest, Fungarian Lessons, www.fungarian.hu Here I met with Miklos a local who taught me all the words I needed to know to sound official.  As I learned about the language I was able to learn more about the culture of the people.  The language is said to be 3,000 years old and use the original writing from the countries founders still today. 95% of the population is Hungarian and it is bordered by 7 different countries.
Here are a few useful words:
Jo Napot! Good Day!  Koszonom-Thank You    Igen – Yes     Nem-No
Miklos was able to direct me to some good local restaurants that had good Hungarian traditional food and city must dos! 
Now that I was full loaded with the language I was ready, the rest of my trip included seeing all of this small city and uncovering the cities’ gems. 
Later on this evening I had reservations at an wine cellular underneath the Hilton (but not related) in the Buda Castle Area.  Faust Wine Cellar was great! My personal sommelier, Gabor, can to my table and brought me a personalized wine menu he put together for me from our discussions during setting up the reservations.  Hungarian wines were very full and you taste all the essence of each fruit.  My favorite was the Szekszardi Pinot Noir Rose 2011 (from Ferena Takler winery).  I made sure that I also tasted the Hungarian official Palinka, they compare it to brandy, but to me it seemed like a vodka. This was good and I ended enjoying some more of this out side of the tasting.
Next Day Itinerary:
Tour the city on the Tram – The #4,6 tram circles both sides of the city Buda and Pest nice views and local stops. This is considered one of the longest tram tracks in Europe.  Stopped at park that is an island with hotels on it and two spa locations.  Its almost like Central Park but surrounded but water.  It was great to walk through and see Autumn at its best. I do not get to see much of the season change from Rome.
Pest had more going on so I ended near here at night walking around.  This city is perfectly lite and a lot of energy.  One of my favorite things to see while here is the Chain Bridge at night and the views of the Roosevelt Buda Castle.
I rode on the first underground train in Europe. I took the Yellow Line train M1 from Vorosmarty stop to Szechenyi furdo and was able to witness one of the largest out door thermal baths in Hungary in the middle of a park.  From here I walked to Heroes Square and went to the Museum of Fine Arts.  A great buy while in Budapest is the Budapest Card most hotels sell them.  There is a pass for 48 hours and 72 hours and it pays for your local transportation in case you are stopped, all systems run on the “honor” system.  I was only checked once while approach the first stop. You are to get into museums for fess and get discounts on restaurants and other attractions.
Last night their met up with a fellow Nomad-ness Tribe member from Hungary that moved to Budapest.  She was a great hostess of the night life there.  I was able to learn more about Palinka, lol, and experience the night life.  We went to a club name “white angel”.  Very far from everything that I have seen during my stay but was worth visiting.  By time we arrived around 1am the place was packed like New Year’s Eve in NYC.  I was slightly confused that this many people come out to a club on a regular.  It was CRAZY in there.  The décor was very modern and hip. The music was techno/alternative or like fast speed pop. I was happy to have this experience. 
On my last day there it was very fitting for me to visit the SPA!! Yes Hungary is also considered one of the Spa capitals of the world. Ultimate winner for me in my book.  I love to relax as much as I love to tour.  I woke up went to visit the Statue of Liberty since it was near my hotel and straight down for the mountain was Gellert Thermal Bath Spa. www.spabudapest.hu This experience was Ahmazzing!  You pay for a pass to get in and you have different services that you can pay individually for or just take your time lounging around in the different out door and indoor pools and thermal baths, saunas, and steam rooms.  So yes I ended staying here all day until it was about an hour before my flight.  Nothing could knock my high after this tranquil experience.  I would diffidently come back to Budapest again, probably during the 1st or 2nd week in September for Castle Zone Wine Festival. 

Beauty of the City of Buda & Pest is separate by these very amazing bridges.





Thermal Bath Time!!!

At the Christmas Market eating a little Hungarian Fast Food

Pilanka

Holocaust Memorial at the Synagogue

Promo for the Club

Yes the Metro looked as if no one every use it.  It has maintained its beauty after all these years.

Just me near the Cable Bridge


Inside the Club!


Xtreme Sports Event called FRIDGE it was crazy





2 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience Cha!!! I don't think I have Budapest on my list lol but will now (especially because of the spa!)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    love ya.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im late on my commenting... but so inspired to do more traveling alone. Finding a spa in every city is definitely a great to do in every country. I want to know more about the people! All in all looks like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest, Hungary
Statute of Liberty - Budapest, Hungary

Florence, Italy

Florence, Italy
The Duomo - Florence, Italy

London, UK

London, UK
Famous Phone Booth

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP