Thursday, March 29, 2012

Survived Reverse Culture Shock (I think?)

Hello, Ciao, Hola

I am still alive had to take a moment to get my life situated here in NYC.  Just writing to say that I went on a few Ahhmazing trips as most of you may know from my post on Facebook.  I tried to write something everyday to everyone everywhere since I knew I was visiting many places that my friends and family may never see.  I conducted that trip with my BFF and you will see her throughout my photos as well.  However, I am not here today to talk about my Euro-trip,  I am here to tell you that I am Surviving!

As the title states this is to give you all an outlook of my impression of America as an American who lived abroad and have now returned. You might not think this at first, but returning home was not easy Emotionally (and of course physically - 4 suitcases #killme).  So many of family and friends especially my mother ask WHY?  So here it is, after being home for 3 months I recognize what I felt after my immediate return.  While abroad you train yourself to get accustomed to the lifestyle abroad (or some people do) you never forget what is to be home, but whatever it is that keeps that country in your heart and mind you realize you are no longer have the same understanding or "way of being" as you did before you left.  It is a difficult to understand if you have never been away from where or what you call home longer than about a month. 

Here was my timeline in Italy (living in Europe):
 Departed Januaray 2011
Probably was homesick up until my Bday pasted in March
Then I started to enjoy the differences in what I sought out for entiretainment in Italy vs. Home: For instance wine and cheese, Apertivo in the park, actually traveling, learning a new language, making new friends, beer feast - chocolate feast,  and just simply enjoying some of the best views and food, EVER
(therefore stop complaining about what I would do at home)
 Traveled as much as I can (the most traveling I have done in my whole life happened all in 1 year lol)
Came to US to visit (still knowing that I had a returened to ticket to Italy Kept me statified)
Around Noveember I realize it was going to be ending soon (and began to feel homesick for Italy while there)
Traveled some more
Returned home to the US in January 2012

Simply a lot of time away from what I knew and who I knew and trusted... The monotony of my life was broken by this experience.

When I was abroad I began enjoy and look forward to the common things in Italy as well as the mentality of Italians.  I learned a lot about the differences between "us" and "them" and how we think - whether its about careers, morals, race vs. nationality, family values, religion, Romance, or the joys of food (pizza specifically).  There are things that I can not change the views of all Americans but it is hard when you have returned to your "home" you notice that no one Gets You... And that you are not willing to conform back

So I have survived I have found a way to cope with being an American Foreigner lol (for lack of a better term). I recognized the difference in my beliefs from those people whom I would  consider close to me and realized how seperated I am now,  even though I have returned. 

I have been coping with this reverse culture shock by trying to keep myself engaged with a mixture of like minded people (s/o to The Tribe), and my lovely family and friends.  I signed up for Italian language classes in NYC. I have also taken a hint from others, who have in their own way been in the same position, and started researching ... Where to NEXT! will keep you all posted with that and I will make sure I will fill you in on my wonderful excursion through Western Europe.

Ciao Belli!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest, Hungary
Statute of Liberty - Budapest, Hungary

Florence, Italy

Florence, Italy
The Duomo - Florence, Italy

London, UK

London, UK
Famous Phone Booth

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP